Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Olympic Provisions = Room for Improvement.

A friend of mine and I decided to check out Olympic Provisions the other day while walking around in the industrial neighborhood of SE. Before dinning, I assumed I would be entering a deli of some sort with a smorgasbord of delicious locally cured meats. However, the restaurant is still awaiting a USDA certificate, therefore, I plan on adding to this review afterward. I found the staff to be a outgoing. However, the space (quite large) felt under lit and cold. After being greeted, we sat down and took a look at the menu. The waitress explained that the main goal was to formulate a European and North African restaurant, promising a wide selection of cured meats in the near future. This excited me. However, I must admit that the samples we were given were way to salty. Nevertheless, we ate the entire plate. We chose numerous items and were both pleased and upset. The Ham sandwich, which my friend thought tasted more like turkey, accompanied with zucchini pickles, butter, Dijon and a delicious baguette was ok. I dont think I can justify spending 7 dollars on it. The bread was good, however, the ham could have stood out more. The pickles could have been sweeter. I give it 2.5 jalapenos. However, the sausage with cooked greens was done to perfection...a dish I will recommend to friends. I am curious to try other sandwiches, however was not a fan of the ham. Overall, I felt like the main ingredient was missing. The menu mentions that it is an American Charcuterie establishment. However, where is the charcutere plate? Why chicken salad sandwiches? I do see things headed in the right direction, I only hope that when they are able to sell their own cured meats, they will be included in the sandwiches...if not replacing the ones currently existing. Once again, the staff was great. They were nice, we well knowledged and seemed to be very ambitious about future plans for Olympic Provisions. I certainly will return and look forward to trying some of Salumist Elias Cairo's meats. I do like the open kitchen. I do like the giant "MEAT" sign...and the stickers are a killer for advertisement. However, if they are as successful I as their potential to be...I think they'll need a slightly larger deli front.

On another note, I was at whole foods the other night and asked the butcher if their meat (hanging + curing) behind a window was USDA approved and how long it had been cured in house. The butcher told me, "ever since I've been here...and I've been here for almost 2 years." —Therefore, I'm now a bit cautious about what I choose to believe from the people at Olympic Provisions. Nevertheless, I haven't visited since and there is a chance of improvement. Therefore, I will let you know if any changes have been made. For now, I suggest you head to Chop Butchery and Charcuterie on 21st located inside City Market. Also, check out Edelweiss Sausage and Delicatessen on SE Powell (just past the Hotcake House).

No comments:

Post a Comment